Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Silly Things Which Bring Joy

Every time I look at this picture, it makes me happy.  The bright blue of the sky, the bright white of the PVC, and those few drops of moisture dripping from the outlet...
Before Handsome Son left for college this summer, he helped me to install some guttering over the entrance to my house I use most often.  It may seem like a little thing, but it exactly the sort of job that never gets done.  What contractor would come out and hang 10' of gutter?

Without it, each fall and spring when the heavy rains leading into ice and snow and eventual winter come to central Wisconsin the rain comes off the house in sheets, drenching me as I jiggle my key in the lock, forming a huge ice dam and skating rink on my deck.  I have to keep my wits about me taking Faithful Companion out for a walk or any sudden yank on the lease could spell a perilous fall.

This year, it's not going to happen.

You'll notice we did not add a downspout.  I may regret that, but I left the option open to create a one of a kind rain chain.  Maybe I'll even look for an interesting, large, concave rock to form some sort of Zen-like splash.

The artistic options simply abound.

Considering how this utilitarian item made of PVC (ick!) will bring me no little amount of Joy is astounding.

What small thing could bring you Joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment